We’re looking for people who want to join our team, make a real difference and enhance our business with their expertise.
As an Investors in People Gold business, we have a strong focus on career development, training and we are dedicated to making a difference through our environmental and corporate social responsibility programmes.
Due to our growth and success, we are looking for an experienced mechanical design engineer to join our team in London who will be working as part of our successful national MEP Division.
We’re known for being straight-talking, honest and approachable whether we’re working in the commercial, health, education, hotel & leisure, residential or retail sectors. Our clients trust us to deliver the results they need on time and within budget.
We encourage and reward personal and professional development and welcome career progression. Building your capability and developing your career is good for you and good for us.
At Banyards we recognise the commitment our people make, we believe in rewarding commitment by offering great benefits, some of our favourites are shopping discounts, volunteer days, flexible working and funding for work related training and development.
The overarching aim for our Leadership and People Team is to create a great place to work, so you want to join us and stay with us! With ‘’Gold’’ accreditation from ‘’Investors in People’’ and regular staff feedback, we have a continual focus on how we can keep making Banyards better.
Collaboration and teamwork are a vital part of the Banyards experience, and the way we work together, celebrate together and support each other is a unique part of life at Banyards.
Our core values are central to all we do; together, we are:-
- Successful People
- Safe People
- Do the right thing People
- Relationship People
- Can Do People
What is the role?
As Mechanical Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the design and development of mechanical systems; assisting with the preparation of reports, specifications and drawings to the design programme.
What you’ll be doing
- Understanding the clients technical project requirements from an mechanical perspective
- Collaborate with other engineers to ensure that all projects are designed in line with our agreed scope of works, internal quality procedures, industry best practice, health and safety regulations and customer requirements.
- Producing specifications, drawings and reports to agreed timescales.
- Providing an end-to-end service by monitoring the project progress and design variations throughout.
- Assisting with the preparation of working designs for building services including heating / cooling, ventilation and HVAC systems, hot and cold water, drainage, BMS Controls etc etc.
- Carrying out surveys, investigations and information searches to develop the basis for design.
- Preparing calculations to support equipment selec
- Promoting sustainable design solutions for all design work.
- Preparation of schematics, layouts, specifications, reports and design notes to support the design submission.
- Present drawings and other information for review to ensure Quality Assurance.
- Identifying Health and Safety and CDM issues within the design or operations on site.
- Keeping up to date with industry trends and software.
- Identifying new techniques, tools etc. that will improve our technical standards or increase our profitability.
- Assisting with promoting Banyards to clients and other professionals through business development opportunities.
We’d like you to have experience in
- Mechanical ventilation and air conditioning
- Heating and cooling services
- Domestic hot and cold water systems
- Foul, waste and rainwater drainage
- Acoustic design requirements in relation to specified mechanical and electrical plant
- Modern Methods of construction and how these affect the design of services
- Good understanding of British Standards, Building Regulations, and industry guidance / sector standards
- Health and safety in design and operations, CDM regulations etc.
- Experienced in using drafting software such as Revit & AutoCAD
- Experienced in the use of IES or similar dynamic simulation packages
- The role of other professionals in the design process
We’d also like you to have
- Excellent at developing business relationships delivering client satisfaction
- A proactive approach to spot what is required and a “Can do” attitude
- A commercial awareness and understanding of business expectations, which leads to excellent results.
- Behaviours that fit our vision and core values
- Ability to operate independently using own initiative as well as collaboratively in a positive team environment
- Flexible and adaptable to meet the challenges of the business.
- Willingness to take on tasks as required
- Proven ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- Excellent organisational skills
- Communicates effectively with colleagues and clients at all levels. Articulate with excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills (via email, telephone and face to face)
- A desire to embrace new challenges and gain personal development
- Degree or Higher National Qualification in a Building Services related subject
- A minimum of 2 years industry experience
- Working towards Chartership is desirable
A real opportunity to work with a collaborative and motivated team and employer. A fantastic environment in which to work combined with genuine opportunity to create your role and grow whilst being recognised, rewarded, inspired, and working with friendly colleagues.