Corporate and Social Responsibility
Banyards is a progressive and socially aware company, and as such we are dedicated to integrating ethical and environmental factors within our business strategies, aiming to continuously improve our CSR performance.
We believe that being a positive influence is integral to the success of our business and are dedicated to making a positive contribution to our communities, being a good employer and minimising our environmental impact.
At Banyards, we aim to sustain and improve our natural environment for the benefit of all. We are committed to continual improvement in our environmental performance by improving the efficiency with which we use resources. We aim to comply with all relevant environmental regulation and legislation.
Being 100% green or carbon neutral is not something we can achieve overnight, but we have made commitments to:
- Encourage an environmentally aware culture in our office by promoting duplex printing, recycling waste paper, encouraging energy conservation (turning off lights, computers, printers and photocopiers when not in use), recycling printer cartridges and minimising all waste wherever possible, examples being packaging wherever possible ensuring our outgoing items are packed as efficiently as possible to minimise waste and fuel consumption in transportation.
- Wherever possible, select products made from environmentally friendly resources. We also encourage suppliers to adopt the highest environmental standards.
- Encourage our customers to use email and online facilities through our management processes, and to receive their reports and account summaries by email to cut down on unnecessary paper use.
- Source our electricity and gas from suppliers committed to switching to a lower carbon economy.
- Develop specific annual environmental objectives and targets to ensure we are constantly improving our environmental performance, and so we can measure these improvements.
- Ensure that this policy is communicated to all persons working for or on behalf of Banyards, and make it publicly available (Web Site and Intranet), to ensure we are all working towards the same objectives and that our environmental commitments are filtered through every level of our staff, supply chain and customers.
Responsibilities to our customers & the wider community
We are committed to providing our customers with services and products that are educationally valuable. All our services are carefully developed against a background of strong educational value and an uncompromising idea of our company’s values and philosophy.
Customer satisfaction surveys help us ensure we are meeting the high expectations of our customers with regard to service delivery, quality, price and customer service.
We also donate redundant stock and IT equipment to a variety of local charities.
Banyards is committed to providing:
- good workplace standards
- decent health and safety requirements
- fair pay and conditions
To do this, we do the following:
- We aim to employ a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers. Our employment policies, including a commitment to equal opportunity, are designed to attract and retain high-calibre people, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability, nationality or sexual orientation.
- We are committed to promotion based on merit, and filling job opportunities in-house wherever possible, and to develop all staff into higher skilled and environmentally aware careers.
- We reward the hard work of our team with company social events, and encourage all personnel to participate in charitable activities to the local community.
- We hold monthly company meetings at senior level; to ensure all our employees have a forum to voice any concerns or issues and to reinforce the strong team ethos.
- We are committed to supporting appropriate professional development through sending our staff on relevant and effective training courses.
- We are committed to the spirit and guidelines of Investors in People; we undertake a staff mentoring program to develop a more rounded, aware and capable workforce who will take leadership of the companies in the future.